This time from Woodmen Nissan
This time from Woodmen Nissan
Got up early way back in October to kick off this suspension refresh project. It was way more involved than I had anticipated.
Oh man, I’ve haven’t written in ages! Where to start…?
Since the wheels are off and stripped I thought I’d see how tough it’s going to be to get these rehabilitated. I’ve decided not to put any money into these and just get them cleaned up for some cheap tires. These aren’t the rims I’m looking for.
In a week I will be taking a week off of work to make a major push on getting the car ready to get painted. I had initially planned on having the car stripped professionally, but it’s looking like $4,000 when you factor in transportation and everything else, which is about double what I can swing. So I started snooping around the internet and found that it is possible to do a lot of that work one’s self in the garage / driveway.
The first thing I would need is something to strip the car. There are three major categories of options here: chemical stripping, abrasive blasting, or sanding. I’ll be doing all three. First, I bout a small abrasive blaster. Initially I had planned to use soda because it is gentle and environmentally friendly. The problem with soda, though, is that you have to do a ton of work to get the metal prepared to accept paint or you end up with several thousand dollars worth of labor and pain flaking off in a few months. So I ended up getting this little guy from Eastwood. It’s not the best one, but it isn’t bad and it isn’t expensive. I’ll be putting crushed glass in it, which is what I have found is the choice of several professional blasters whom I had considered hiring out for this job.
The car is now ready to flip! I did a test flip and found out that I don’t have it balanced quite right, and that the rotisserie won’t let me go to a full 90 degrees. I will make some adjustments and see what happens, but even at one notch from fully sideways it’s still WAY easier to get in there and pull parts off.
The front suspension is off! I had a stumble and it took me longer than I thought because I didn’t want to follow the process outlined in the service manual. The book wants one to remove the entire front end as a unit and then disassemble it. Given that I wanted to keep the car on jack stands until it’s stripped to give the rotisserie a break, I couldn’t get the car high enough off the ground to make the struts clear it when I pulled it out.
So I ended up doing a slow and methodical disassembly of the unit while triple checking it at every step to make sure nothing was going sideways.
I had to remove the bar that ties the two ends of the rotisserie together in order to get the kick under there to support everything, but eventually all the components were separated and I was able to pull the knuckles out, followed by the struts, and then the cross bar and steering rack last.
This is how I spent my Saturday night:
Here’s the rest of the process for making the Time-sert sleeves.
The back hatch and windshield are out!
It’s been a while but we’re back with more info on the engine buildup. And, since the lower end is pretty much done, we’re starting to look at cylinder head reconditioning. I may have addressed some of this over time and I questioned the P90a to P90 conversion but bear with us…
One Z-worth of stainless steel hardware from Z Car Depot (Allen-head engine hardware not pictured)
I learned something this weekend:
After setting up all the chemicals I bout for this gas tank restoration, I have determined that a) the Por-15 reconditioning kit doesn’t work, B) muriatic acid is scary, c) either the water in my neighborhood is too hard or rinsing with water is stupid, and d) you only need three things to do the inside of your tank.